French Geograhical Name Derivations

From WikiSki
Jump to: navigation, search

The growth of tourism in the early 19th century led to the formation of the Compagnie des Guides de Chamonix in 1821 , to regulate access to the mountain slopes (which were communally or co-operatively owned), and this association held a monopoly of guiding from the town until it was broken by French government action in 1892. This appears to be the first emergence of the name in its own right.
La Plagne 
There were many skirmishes with the Germans including one above Champagny which gave rise to a piste being named "Mont de la Guerre". At Plagne Centre there is a war memorial to British aircrew who were involved in the dropping of 12 plane loads of munitions; these were then hidden in the mines of what is now Plagne 1800 before being distribute more widely across the region.