Sun Alpina (Hakuba)
Sun Alpina is a collection of three resorts, all linked.
- Sanosaka (The northern most resort, which is actually classified as being in the Hakuba valley.)
- Aokiko (south of Sanosaka)
- Kashimayari (south of Aokiko)
All three resorts CAN use the same ticket, but you must specify this at the ticket window. Lift tickets cost 3500yen, or 3900yen for all three resorts. There is also a men's day (Wednesday) or a lady's day (Friday), when the lift tickets are only 2100yen for all three resorts. This is an absolute bargain.
- However, in the 2009/2010 season Aokiko did not operate, due to financial problems. This meant that the linked tickets were not available, and that Sanosaka & Kashimayari were no longer linked.
Only Sanosaka is serviced by a shuttle bus from central Hakuba. The three resorts themselves are not very challenging. Yet, there is something about Sun Alpina that gives it a good appeal. Sun Alpina is not crowded, except perhaps near the restaurant area at Kashimayari on the intermediate slopes on a weekend. Just about all other areas around Sun Alpina are quiet, even on weekends. This means that on week days, a powder fall can last right the way through the day. Sun Alpina has a strict no ducking the ropes policy.
There are 7 reasonably modern lifts servicing mostly intermediate slopes. There is one slope that is reasonably steep, and features a prepared bump run to one side. The main restaurant has some great views of the lake.
There are 5 mostly antiquated lifts, including the link lift to Kashimayari. All the slopes are easy intermediate.
There are 8 lifts, with a mix of modern and old lifts. It has mostly intermediate & beginners, but there area some reasonable steeper courses(runs) which have almost nobody on them. There are some treed runs off the cat track form the top lift, (which s-bends its way down from the top), are good and drop onto the same cat track lower down.
Access from Aokiko is via a link lift, which you can also ride back down Aokiko(spectacular view of the lake). You can also take a tiny goat track back from Kashimayari to Aokiko, but it is very narrow and fast in places, and not for intermediate riders.
- 1 Location
- 2 Pros
- 3 Cons
- 4 Contacts
- 5 Planning
- 6 Budget
- 7 Resort Facilities
- 8 Ride Guide
- 9 Other
- 10 Resources
At the southern of the Hakuba Valley, in Nagano Prefecture.
Phone: PLEASE EDIT
Fax: PLEASE EDIT
Postal: PLEASE EDIT
The Hakuba Accommodation Guide offers the widest range of accommodation options available in Hakuba (in English). Instant booking and online confirmation.
- HAKUBA HOLIDAY Hakuba Holiday offers one of the best Hakuba ski-holiday rental houses available for full or part self-catering groups. The holiday house is superbly located right in the heart of Hakuba’s most established ski resort, Happo-One. Happo is the gateway to Hakuba's world class ski runs and Hakuba Holiday’s premiere house is only 150 meters to the Nakiyama lifts entrance. You can actually ski into the house from the lifts and the views of Mount Happo from the house are awesome. REALLY close to Nakiyama lifts. The house is a 180 m2 modern four bedroom home with new western kitchen and appliances. Simply one of the best self-contained rental houses in Hakuba. For more info please google: hakubaholiday.
Please visit www.hakubaholiday.com for more info.
Mt Hakuba Backpackers Hostel Mt Hakuba Backpackers Hostelis the newest, cheapest and best located hostel in Hakuba. From the hostel there are free shuttle buses to and from all the 6 major Hakuba ski areas. It is a one minute walk from the closest convenience store, a couple of minutes walk from numerous bars and restaurants, and 5 minutes walk will find you at the closest onsen (hot spring).Mt Hakuba Backpackers is fully equipped with an inhouse bar (separated from the sleeping areas),restaurant,guest laundry,guest kitchen, and an internet cafe (with free wireless). The bar has cozy sofas, a billiard table and a large screen for international sports. You can buy cheap but filling meals at the hostel restaurant.Mt Hakuba Backpackers Hostel has a drying area for gear, and we also rent out ski/boarding equipment at cheap prices. The hostel also sells discounted lift tickets to all of the major ski areas in Hakuba saving you time and money. From 2800 yen per night. Mt Hakuba Backpackers or email@example.com, +81-0261-72-3912.
3500yen, or 3900yen for all three resorts. men's day (Wednesday) or a lady's day (Friday) 2100yen
- EDIT ACTIVITY
EDIT ACTIVITY DESCRIPTION
Bars & Entertainment
Out of Bounds
Parks & Pipes
There are two designated bumps areas, both at Sanosaka. These are often used for comptetions.
- Hakuba Google Map
- The Hakuba Accommodation Guide
- Hakuba Accommodation
- Hakuba info