List of New Zealand Ski Lifts
List of all New Zealand ski lifts to operate
This page is an attempt to document all ski lifts to operate in New Zealand. Most lifts have been confined to ski fields/mountains ("resorts" in other countries), of which around 26 have been established in New Zealand during the history of skiing in this country. The only ski fields with lifts to be established and then close down are Mt Robert near St Arnaud and Erewhon in the Rangitata Valley. All other mountains are still operational.
There were many single ski lifts outside of established areas operating in New Zealand. All have now closed. These were usually rope tows - New Zealand was (and still is) the centre of the universe for all things rope tow related.
This list is done by resort or mountain, heading from north to south.
Currently - 2 nutcracker rope tows, 1 T-bar, 1 learners rope tow.
The original (lower rope tow) was installed in 1946, the first ski tow in New Zealand (predating Coronet Peak's tow by a few days). This was replaced by the current T Bar in 1974.
The top rope tow has a formidable reputation, rising some 300 metres. This was installed in 1952 and upgraded extensively in the 1980s (with a replacement electric drive instead of the old diesel engine). An extension to this tow (running off the top bullwheel) can be installed providing further vertical late in the season.
The lower T bar can also carry a few chairs if necessary, something that the Stratford Mountain Club have indicated that they may install, making for an interesting dual lift.
There is a small (single loop, no intermediate supports) rope tow between the T bar and the bottom station of the top tow, installed in the 1980s and electrically operated.
There is a small learners rope tow to the left of the T bar, this was installed in 1964 and upgraded in the 1970s.
Other North Island ski lifts
The Rangiwahia Ski Club installed a rope tow in the 1930s operating off a motorbike engine on the Whanahuia Range in the Ruahines in the Central North Island. The ski club built a hut as well, however this has been replaced by several facilities on the same site since then. Walking access only. Some relics are still there. Closing date???